Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream

by formerchef on September 29, 2009

Printer Friendly Ice Cream Recipe

chocpeanuticecream2a

Call me a geek, but I love “tech” stuff. I got my first digital camera over a decade ago and www.wired2theworld.com (our travelogue web site started in early ’98) was one of the first ones of its kind out there. Now everyone and their brother has a blog.
When Twitter arrived on the scene, I was quickly hooked. I didn’t quite get it at first, but then I realized the more people you follow with similar interests, the more fun it becomes. Once I had people following me back, the conversations started flowing and it became really interesting.

One of the things I love about Twitter are the incredible people I’ve met in the food blogging world. I’ve learned so much from them in such a short period of time. Some are funny and make me laugh every day, some have inspired me, and some have shared photography and blogging tips. Mostly, they are all so supportive, making it a true “community.”

One of my Twitter friends, Vivian, has been a strong supporter of my blog since its inception. She has long tweeted about an amazing brand of chocolate made by a company called Askinosie, a single origin bean chocolate manufacturer in Springfield Missouri. They press their own cocoa butter and use no additives in their chocolates to keep the flavor pure. I was really impressed with their commitment to environmental sustainability and to taking care of their farmers (paying better than Fair Trade and profit sharing). Please read more about them at www.askinosie.com
Recently, Vivian introduced me to Shawn Askinosie, the founder of the company, who generously sent me four bars of chocolate and their cocoa powder to sample. When it came, I tore open the box and looked lovingly at the creative (and recycled/able) packaging but did not open anything. I wanted to wait until I could do a proper tasting.

askinosie1 askinosie2

The next day, my husband and I sat down with a big, ice cold, glass of milk and tasted each chocolate. While they were all fantastic, I’ve never had anything called “Dark Milk Chocolate” and certainly not one made with goat’s milk and fleur de sel. It was amazing and I just wanted to hoard it all to myself to savor slowly. You can actually taste the tangy earthiness of the goat’s milk. The Dark Milk is 62% cocoa and the other chocolates get progressively stronger and darker, 70% , 75% and 77%.  I found it very difficult to tell the last two apart, but they were all good.

I wanted to make something special and worthy of this excellent chocolate; something which would really showcase it. I thought about it for days and finally settled on Chocolate and Peanut Butter ice cream which I’d wanted to make for a while now. This has long been one of my favorite flavors, and while I’ve made a lot of ice cream in my time, never this flavor combination. I thought it would be easy. I was wrong. Instead of using my tried and true ice cream base recipe, I used a recipe which utilized both cocoa powder and dark chocolate. The more the merrier, right? Not so much.
***For more on what I think went wrong, see the bottom of the post.

peanutbutter

I waited about a week and decided to try again, with changes. This time I used only cocoa powder and no melted chocolate. Instead of organic peanut butter, I went out and bought some Jif  (oh, the hydrogenated horror!). I went back to my old standby recipe, and put the peanut butter in the freezer in teaspoonfuls before adding it to the ice cream so that it would not spread out so much when mixed in. The second batch was wonderful.

In the end, Twitter has brought me both new friends and chocolate.
What more could a girl want?

Do you use Twitter? What do you think?

icecreamingredients

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

3 Tbsp Askinosie Cocoa Powder (or another good quality unsweetened cocoa)
2 cups cream
1 cup whole milk
6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar (split)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Mix cocoa powder with 1/2 of the sugar. Combine the milk and cream in a medium sauce pot and whisk in the cocoa/sugar mix to dissolve. Heat slowly to a simmer.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the other 1/2 of the sugar.

Temper the eggs by mixing in 1/2 cup of the hot milk/cream to heat them up, but not cook them. Mix the eggs back into the pot with the hot milk/cream. Cook over a low flame until the mixture begins to thicken. Do NOT boil or you may end up with chocolate scrambled eggs.

When thick, pour the custard mix through a strainer into a clean bowl. Cool the bowl in an ice bath, stirring occasionally to speed up the process.

When cool, mix in the vanilla and put the bowl in the refrigerator. Chill thoroughlybefore freezing in your ice cream maker.

icecream2 icecream3
icecream4icecream5

When making the ice cream, add in the peanut butter at the end of the churning process. I really like mine with lumps of peanut butter, rather than spread through the ice cream, so I mixed most of it into the container after I took the ice cream out of the freezer bowl. I also froze the peanut butter in lumps hoping it would help it stay separate while I mixed it in. Freeze at least 4-5 hours before serving.

chocpeanuticecream1a

***My first batch was awful. It was a #FAIL as they say on Twitter.
Here’s what I think went wrong and why:
The ice cream was too rich, if that’s possible. It didn’t have a good “mouth feel” and the texture wasn’t great either.
While I’m not exactly sure what went wrong, I think it may have had too much chocolate. Hard to believe, right? The recipe I used called for melting dark chocolate into the cream like a ganache and that’s pretty much how the texture was when I froze it. The other factor could be that I used organic peanut butter and the oil in it may have melted and emulsified into the ice cream. I knew before I stuck it in the freezer it wasn’t great. Once fully frozen the texture wasn’t soft, it was almost crumbly. It’s for these reasons I changed to the recipe listed above.
If I were to try it again, I might add in two ounces of dark chocolate melted into the cream instead of the five the recipe called for.

Printer Friendly Ice Cream Recipe

This post is part of Wanderfood Wednesday, a travel/food blogging carnival. Make sure to check them out.

1 Vivian September 30, 2009 at 7:24 am

This looks delicious! Thank you so much for your kind comments.

I have made Ice Cream with their cocoa nibs and chocolate before but not with peanut butter so I definitely need to give this a try.

2 Noelle September 30, 2009 at 7:31 am

What a great post. I want to try this chocolate, after hearing your experience. So you have been blogging since when? I have you on my reader, because I enjoy your pics and stories! Thanks again!

3 formerchef September 30, 2009 at 7:44 am

Noelle-
I’ve had my travelogue blog/website since 1998, well before they were called “blogs”. This blog I started in March of this year so I’m a newbie to the Food Blog world.

4 Anise September 30, 2009 at 8:02 am

Next time you’re up here, you should try the Scharffenberger Dark Milk Chocolate if you have a chance, for the few months before the factory closes down. It’s incredible -rich and chocolatey yet also really creamy. It’s the first milk chocolate I’ve liked in years.

I also recommend Seattle’s Theo Chocolate, which has some awesome curry chocolate flavors, among other things.

5 formerchef September 30, 2009 at 8:06 am

Sharffenberger is fantastic too, but I’ve never tried their Dark Milk chocolate. I will have to do that. Never heard of Theo’s (I’m not a huge fan of chocolate w/spices in it though).

6 jessiev September 30, 2009 at 8:08 am

oh how very, very delicious. i want that chocolate that you got!! i’ll go google it.

i also like how you told abt the #fail – i make my own PB, and that would probably happen to me, too. thanks!!

7 cruisinred September 30, 2009 at 8:38 am

Drooling on my desk right now: PB & chocolate ice cream is my favorite….I haven’t tried twitter yet, but if it results in new friends+ free chocolcate, I just may have to!

8 michelle September 30, 2009 at 9:09 am

So, does natural pb not work for this? I lol’ed at “hydrogenated horror”; I haven’t bought hydrogenated pb for 8 years! :) I’d really like to make this though; I love making ice cream and I love pb and chocolate!

9 formerchef September 30, 2009 at 9:25 am

Honestly, I don’t know. I was just trying to change things I thought might have affected it. You could certainly try it with natural PB and let me know how it comes out for you.

10 Myscha Theriault September 30, 2009 at 9:44 am

Boy, does this make your mouth water. And I was trying so hard not to indulge in extra calories this weekend. Oh well, life is short, right? Great post.

11 nina September 30, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I fall into the category or not quite knowing how Twitter works…….I do not have the time to work it out either. Seems to me I am missing out on a lot!!! I love peanut butter-anything…….will give this a go for sure!!!!

12 marina k. villatoro September 30, 2009 at 3:21 pm

That looks so easy to make. I’ve never had peanut butter ice cream, sounds fantastic.

13 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen October 1, 2009 at 7:58 am

WOW, I love these chocolates! They sound so wonderful especially the goat’s milk one! I can imagine how good that would be. Goat’s milk adds such an almost caramelly undertone. I love your ice cream, too. Great post!

14 Joy October 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Your ice cream looks incredibly delicious. I’m so thrilled to find out that one of the chocolates was sourced from the Philippines.

15 formerchef October 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Yes, I thought that was interesting too! It was really good. :-)

16 Wanderluster October 1, 2009 at 3:33 pm

This looks way too good! I was kinda stuck at those bars of chocolate but forced my way down the post :-)

17 Karine October 3, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Your ice cream sounds delicious! Great combo of flavors…

As for me, I almost fall in the category: “what is twitter?”

18 Amy I. October 4, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Ohhh my goodness, chocolate and peanut butter is my new favorite combo. This looks amazing!

19 vincent October 5, 2009 at 10:48 am

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

20 Bob October 5, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Inspired, I made a reasonable facsimile of this ice cream over the weekend. Came out more than excellent. Thanks!

21 formerchef October 5, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Thanks! I’m glad to hear you made it and liked it! :-)

22 itsasmallworldafterallfamily October 7, 2009 at 2:02 am

I love peanut butter and chocolate! We have a diner that makes peanut butter chocolate malt shakes, which are asolutely yummy. That chocolate looks amazing and I love the packaging. In the UK we have an organic brand called Green and Blacks which does a ‘darker milk’ chocolate, which is my favourite chocolate bar. It’s milk chocolate, but not so sweet as cheap brands and much more chocolaty.

I love twitter as well!

23 frigidarium October 12, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Grazie una ottima idea!!provero’ a realizzarlo a modo mio e vi faro’ sapere come è venuto!!!
A presto per le news

24 Yoko June 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Awesome recipe! It’s hard to find a nice chocolate ice cream recipe that doesn’t include melted chocolate (I needed to avoid it since I’m making this for my diabetic husband)

But if you do need a great chocolate ice cream recipe that uses both cocoa powder & melted chocolate, Elise’s mexican chocolate ice cream is great: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mexican_chocolate_ice_cream/

Just made it the other day and got rave reviews – but you might want to let the ice cream sit out for a while so it softens a little..that fixes the texture problem :)