Sometimes Dinner Really Is Just This Simple

by formerchef on October 31, 2009

cheeseplattersm

I think the title and the photo speaks for itself, no?

Salami, cheese (soft goat cheese, cave aged Gruyere and a sharp white cheddar), olives, mom’s home smoked salmon and some marinated artichokes. Add to that a loaf of freshly baked bread (buy it or make it yourself) and a good bottle of wine and you have a meal ready in 5 minutes. I love to eat this way.

What do you do make when you don’t feel like cooking?

1 Chef Gwen October 31, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Add a rosé and call it day! Looks like the perfect supper.

2 Tiffany October 31, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I agree! I make chicken adobo when I don’t feel like cooking. 5 ingredients. No measuring. One pot. 30 minutes. Total comfort.

3 Mom October 31, 2009 at 6:15 pm

A baked potatoe.
Eggs & Peas
Fried egg sandwich
Baby pasta with butter and cheese
Smoked oysters and wheat thins
so many many things….and uh….anything with a glass of wine

4 style and inspiration October 31, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I found you via the Fodor’s forum (loving your Rome trip report BTW). This is what I call a “cold dinner” and it my favorite way to eat. I usually go for salad, chicken, some type of pasta salad and ciabatta bread. You’ve inspired me to be more gourmet. I love your platter! Yum!

5 formerchef October 31, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Chef Gwen-I am so there with you on the Rose!

Tiffany-Only 5 ingredients? You are going to have to tweet me the recipe. :-)

Style and Inspiration- Thanks for coming over from Fodor’s! What’s your name there?

6 John Burgess November 1, 2009 at 7:04 am

I guess it depends on what ‘not cooking’ means!

If it includes minimalism, than scrambled eggs with chunks of chorizo does nicely. Or perhaps pasta with a green or black olive tapenade. Opening and heating a can of foul muddamas and toasting up some pita bread does nicely and can be upscaled by adding olives, cheeses, bastirma, or soujuk.

If it truly means ‘don’t touch the stovetop,’ then your spread looks much like mine. But sometimes my roots will come back and I’ll turn toward a tin of good kippered herring, or perhaps pickled pigs feet, with anything from saltines to a good bread, toasted. A small salad, heavy on the vinegar completes it.

7 Kel November 1, 2009 at 8:36 am

Looks delicious!
Is your mom’s home-smoked salmon a family secret, or could you share how to do it? That’s something I’ve always wanted to try doing.

Love your blog–beautiful photography, wonderful recipes!

8 formerchef November 1, 2009 at 8:38 am

Kel-My mom has been experimenting with smoking salmon the last couple of weeks. As soon as she perfects the recipe, I’m sure I’ll put something on the blog!

9 style and inspiration November 1, 2009 at 9:26 am

My Fodor’s forum name is “deeinkc.” I just joined this weekend…so I’m a newbie and loving all of the great info on there. I’m a home cook and am loving your blog as well! So much great stuff on the Internet when you start digging about. :-)

10 delightfullysweet November 1, 2009 at 4:46 pm

What a wonderful meal!
Usually when I don’t feel like cooking we do a fruit and cheese plate. We pair it with crackers and breads and a great bottle of wine!

11 Becky November 2, 2009 at 10:05 am

When I don’t feel like cooking I make what my grandmother used to make, “reservations.”