Goat Cheese and Spinach Ravioli with Creamy Mixed Mushrooms

Post image for Goat Cheese and Spinach Ravioli with Creamy Mixed Mushrooms

by formerchef on February 4, 2010

When I was a kid and into my early twenties, my mother and I would make home-made ravioli a couple of times a year, especially at Christmas. She would make the dough herself and we’d roll it out by hand into giant circles, with me holding one side of the stretchy dough to keep it from springing back. I’m not sure why, but it’s been a long time since we’ve made ravioli and I had a hankering to do it again. This time though, I wasn’t in the mood though to roll out the dough by hand. Plus, I wanted a new kitchen toy; the KitchenAid Pasta Roller Attachment for Stand Mixers

So, being the ever frugal one in my house, I went around and gathered up all my husband’s change. The man leaves it everywhere; in jars, on counter tops, in his pants pockets. Does he think it expires? I swear, it’s like one of those cell phone commercials where the kid doesn’t want to use rollover minutes because they’re from last month. The coins are still good the next day!
I took the change to my local Coin Star machine where I was able to redeem it, fee free, for an Amazon.com gift certificate. I used this certificate to help pay for my new toy. But wait, you ask, just how much change did you find? I found $77.45 my friends, and that goes a long way considering those rollers are on sale right now on Amazon.

So, the day before I’m about to start a 21 day vegan/gluten/sugar/alcohol/caffeine free diet (don’t gasp too loud), what do I do? I make these ravioli for my “last supper.” They were fabulous, a wee bit decadent, and perfect served with a salad of baby greens and a wonderful bottle of white wine.

Goat Cheese and Spinach Ravioli with Creamy Mixed Mushrooms

Ravioli Filling
4 oz goat cheese
4 oz fresh ricotta
1 egg
3.25 oz cooked spinach (5 oz raw)
.25 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper

Cook the spinach and squeeze out the excess water. Chop into small pieces. Combine with the rest of the ingredients.

Pasta Dough Recipe
2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
2 eggs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Many recipes call for putting the flour in a mound on the counter, making a well, and mixing in the egg. I prefer to do it in a bowl because I think it’s a bit easier to control the egg and keep it from spilling out the sides.

Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Mix the egg with the olive oil in a small bowl and then pour into the flour well. With a fork, gently start to incorporate the flour into the egg. As the dough comes together, use your hands to gather it into a ball. Once you can get it into one mass, knead it on your work surface for about 5 minutes until the dough becomes smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 1/2 an hour.

Roll out the pasta dough, either by hand or in a pasta machine according to directions. I rolled mine out to the last setting, #8. Do it in small batches because the pasta dries very quickly. Roll out a few strips of dough, put on the filling, cut the ravioli and repeat. I used about 1 tsp of filling per ravioli and cut them with a ravioli cutter like this Round Ravioli Stamp which I’ve had for years. You can use a biscuit cutter, small glass, or knife to cut them as well. Make sure you pinch the edges closed and try to push out any air bubbles. Place the ravioli on a floured sheet pan, dust with flour, and cover with a kitchen as you work.

To cook the ravioli, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tsp salt. Add the ravioli one by one to the pot and stir gently to keep them from sticking together. They will take about 4-5 minutes to cook and generally, when done, will float on top of the water. Remove with a large slotted spoon, or pour (gently) into a colander.

Mixed Mushroom Cream Sauce
4 oz white mushrooms, sliced
3 oz oyster mushrooms, sliced
2 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup white wine
6 oz cream
fresh thyme (about 1 Tbsp)
salt and pepper

Heat a large sauté pan on medium and add the butter. Let it melt and add the mushrooms. If your pan is not large enough, you may want to do this in two batches so as not to crowd the mushrooms. You want them to cook, not stew and they will let off a lot of water. When the mushrooms are dry and starting to brown, add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the wine and allow it to reduce by half. Add the cream and reduce by one third. Add the thyme and salt and pepper.

Note; I put some of the sauce on a large platter. Put a layer of ravioli, another layer of sauce, ravioli, and topped with sauce. I did it this way rather than stir it all together and risk breaking the ravioli.

1 My Man's Belly February 4, 2010 at 6:42 pm

These look awesome! Thanks for the heads up on the pasta rollers…I’ve been pining away for one for a bit and my husband does the same thing with the damn change. He had so much saved in a glass jar, the weight actually broke the jar. I’ll save him the headache of cleaning it up and do what you did ;) .

Good luck on the cleanse. I did mine in August (and another quick one at the beginning of January). I feel great and lost 12 pounds.

2 nina February 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm

That, is an awesome plate of food…. I don’t know what appeals to me more…the filling of those raviolis or the sauce…….either way…Gorgeous!!!

3 nina February 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm

4 Mom February 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm

The reason we haven’t made ravioli by hand? well, I can’t think of a good one — I think it much more fun done in twos tho–like pinelle

These were great and the sauce very yummy—thanks for letting me share…I have 3 cutters–one smaller than yours, one larger and a square one–for sweet ravioli, I think…the bigger cutters are great when you are serving ravioli as a first course, because they look so pretty on a plate…

5 Mom February 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm

6 Dixie Caviar February 7, 2010 at 10:56 am

These look incredible! I just got a the pasta attachment, as well. Perhaps this will be the Valentine’s recipe to make…

7 Dixie Caviar February 7, 2010 at 10:56 am

8 zoe February 15, 2010 at 7:28 am

This is a fantastic pasta dish! I have never tried making my own pasta, kudos!

9 zoe February 15, 2010 at 7:28 am

This is a fantastic pasta dish! I have never tried making my own pasta, kudos!

10 ziegen kaufen April 2, 2010 at 5:08 am

I really love goat cheese it is really delicous. Most of the time I eat it as a dessert or use it to make a salsa.

11 Jake February 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Just made these…amazing. Everyone should try this. Can’t wait to try your other recipes.

12 pawlaski's February 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Delicious!!! We’ve made homemade ravioli a few times, but this was by far the best! The only thing we changed was we used mascapone cheese instead of ricotta in the ravioli, and we also added a couple tablespoons of mascapone to the sauce as well…so good…

13 Marvilla July 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for the info on making pasta. I just got a pasta machine (not the KitchenAid) and the instructions/recipe for making pasta were awful! I found it comforting that you use a bowl because I tried the “mound method” and of course my walls broke and the egg ran all over my counter, two times. The bowl was perfect. I’ll try the raviolli this weekend.

14 charlie December 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm

yum!!!

15 Rebecca December 13, 2011 at 4:05 am

This sounded really good, all of my favorite things: mushrooms, goat cheese, spinach and pasta. However, the goat cheese was way to strong. I recommend only 2 oz of goat cheese and 6 oz of ricotta to make it better. We felt like we were just eating goat cheese sandwiches. The sauce was tasty but a little flat, so we amped up the salt and pepper. Overall the mushrooms were the star, and that is just fine with me. :)

16 Olga March 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I made pelmeni (similar to ravioli) recently. It’s delicious! Interesting toppings. We are made of minced meat or potatoes or cherries, cottage cheese, cabbage …

17 Lauren January 20, 2013 at 11:27 am

Question, how many servings does this make? I apologize if I missed it in the write up!

18 formerchef January 20, 2013 at 11:32 am

Lauren- That is a good question! I would say serves 4 as a main course with a salad, maybe 6 as a small appetizer. Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly how many ravioli it makes.

19 Lauren January 21, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Thank you for responding so quick. Made 4 servings of 5 large ravioli since I used a drinking glass as the form. Deviated from the recipe a bit because I can’t help it but very good!