Apple and Cranberry Crisp

by formerchef on November 24, 2010

Post image for Apple and Cranberry Crisp

This post will be short and sweet because I know we all (at least here in the US) are getting ready for the biggest foodie holiday of the year, Thanksgiving. I simply wanted to illustrate that substitution can be the backbone of any good cook’s repertoire. When you find a good basic recipe, you can switch out ingredients and easily create something new to fit the season.

Case in point; this Apple and Cranberry Crisp. All you need is to do is take my Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp recipe and replace the nectarines with 4 pounds of apples (I used Granny Smiths and Fujis), peeled and sliced. Then replace the strawberries with 3/4 of a cup of dried cranberries and follow the rest of the recipe. That’s it! You could use fresh cranberries if you want, but you may want to add a bit more sugar if you do so.

This crisp is an simple seasonal dessert, and was perfect at our last “Porkapalooza” Sunday dinner. It would also make a wonderful choice for the holidays besides the traditional pumpkin or pecan pie. The crisp can be done in advance; I assembled it in the morning, complete with topping, refrigerated it for the day, then took it out to bake in the late afternoon before dinner. It travels well too, if you need to bring something to a pot luck.

Happy Thanksgiving!

In the pan, before the topping is put on.

1 Angrboda November 24, 2010 at 7:48 am

Ooooh interesting! We really liked the nectarine and strawberry one, so we’ll definitely be giving this one a go as well.

(On another note, can I ask a question about recipes that has wine in them? I got a tip today to freeze left over bits of wine and when a recipe asked for wine just pop a couple of ‘wine cubes’ in it instead. Supposedly this wouldn’t affect the desired flavour. I thought it might be worth a go. What are your thoughts on this?)

2 formerchef November 24, 2010 at 7:54 am

That’s a really interesting question! I know in general alcohol does not freeze but my guess is that wine would because it’s primarily water. I usually keep a couple of already opened bottles corked in my fridge and they stay ok for quite a while. I Googled “Freezing Wine for Cooking” and most of what I found was positive so why not give it a try?

3 Cherine November 24, 2010 at 9:18 am

Oh this crisp is mouthwatering!!

4 Peggy December 1, 2010 at 6:15 pm

This definitely sounds like an interesting dish! I bet it was a hit for Thanksgiving! Definitely plan on making this soon!

5 Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie December 1, 2010 at 9:53 pm

This is the kind of information that really helps your readers not just know how to make a particular recipe – but even more importantly – to become a better cook. I look at the substitutions in your Apple Crisp recipe above. For me at least, its almost like mixing and matching pieces in your wardrobe. So many possibilities.

I did that with my Banana Nut Bread recipe – showed a handful of different variations.

6 formerchef December 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Thanks Denise! You got my point exactly.

7 Cristina December 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

Wow that looks like a great dessert for the holidays. I really like the combination of using seasonal apples and cranberries. Beautiful crust topping!

Beautiful blog and stunning food photography.

8 Carmen December 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

WANT!

9 Tiffany December 4, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I love crisps!! There is something about pairing a tart fruit with the sweet topping that always makes me happy.

10 Tiffany December 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Okay I have to ask… How did you get the ice cream to not melt? Is it mashed potatoes?

11 formerchef December 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Tiffany-
First, the crisp was not hot when I took the photo. Second, I set the shot up (lighting, test photos, etc) without anything on the crisp first. And third, no, it’s not mashed potatoes, but it’s not “ice cream” either. It’s frozen yogurt. :-)

12 oak dining room tables December 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

This is way too lovely! I love it so much. Really looks so delicious and I can’t wait to try this one.

13 S Colledge December 16, 2010 at 10:32 am

Can you freeze this apple cranberry crisp, and if so, so you cook it first, then freeze it and thaw it before rewarming? Or do you make it, freeze it, and then cook it?

14 formerchef December 16, 2010 at 10:56 am

I’ve never tried freezing it. But if I were to, I think I would freeze it unbaked (unless I was trying to freeze leftovers). Then, before baking, I’d take it out, let it thaw a little and then bake it. I think it will taste much fresher that way, rather than baking, freezing, and then re-warming.

15 jennifer November 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm

im wondering if I can also freeze the apple/cranberry crisp after it has been cooked and cooled

16 formerchef November 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Yes, you can freeze it, but it may get a little soggy on the defrost.

17 jennifer November 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

should i freeze just the apple and cranberry mixture or can freeze it with the oat mixture on top as well . What do you suggest?

18 formerchef November 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I think you could assemble it as you would before baking and then freeze it. Remove from the freezer and allow it to defrost some in the refrigerator before baking. Or, yes, if you just want to make the filling in advance you could freeze that.