Kale Salad with Tangerines, Tiny Garlic Croutons, and Spicy Tahini Dressing-2014
Healthy kale salad with tangerines, tiny garlic croutons, and spicy tahini dressing
Servings: 4 servings
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch Tuscan lacinato /cavolo nero kale (about 8 ounces)
- ½ bunch purple curly kale about 4 ounces
- 2-3 tangerines cut into supremes, reserve the juice
- 3 tablespoons garlic croutons
- 3 tablespoons spicy tahini dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
Tiny Garlic Croutons
- ¼ French baguette diced very small, about 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sliced garlic
Spicy Tahini Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tahini sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tangerine juice reserved from the tangerines in the salad
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili garlic paste also called sambal oleak sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Make the croutons:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small pot, melt the butter with the oil and sliced garlic. Let the garlic steep in the oil mixture while you cut the bread.
Cut about ¼ off a baguette and slice thinly, about ½” thick, lengthwise. Cut the slices into strips and then into small cubes.
Toss the bread cubes in a bowl with the butter/oil mixture and then spread on a sheet pan. Toast the croutons in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
After they are cool, these can be kept in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing.
Assemble the salad:
Cut the tangerines into supremes, reserving the juice. How to: with a sharp knife, cut the peel and all the white pith off the outside of the tangerine. Then, holding the tangerine over a bowl to catch the juice, cut the segments from between the membranes of the tangerine. Place the cut segments in another bowl.
Wash the kale and pat dry. Pull off the stems off the Tuscan kale and stack the leaves. Hold them tightly and cut into a chiffonade (thin strips). Do the same with the purple kale.
In a large bowl, toss the cut kale with the tangerines segments, croutons and mint. Add the dressing to taste and gently combine.