Restaurants in Rome; La Tavernetta

by formerchef on December 29, 2009

The last restaurant I’d like to feature from my trip to Rome is a place called La Tavernetta. It’s on a tiny back street near the frenetic, touristy area surrounding the Pantheon. The street is not much more than an alley with almost no traffic; it’s surprisingly quiet for being so close to the center.

When we arrive at La Tavernetta (Via degli Spagnoli 48) it is full inside, but has empty tables outside. It’s chilly, and threatening to rain. But we’re hungry and the €12 lunch menu sounds good so we take our chances and sit under a large umbrella. It does indeed begin to rain while we are eating, but the umbrella keeps us dry and the food and wine warms our bellies.

Between the four of us, we have almost everything on the lunch menu. There are four choices for the appetizer and four mains. The €12 gets us one of each plus a ¼ liter of wine and ½ liter of water per person. I have the pasta al pesto and it’s excellent. Everyone enjoys their first course; my friend J’s pasta with calamari is beautiful and T. loves her risotto alla Milanese. My mother’s pasta e fagioli is perfect in this weather. Both J and I have the stracatti al rughetta which is a bit soupy for my taste, but still good, my mother has a beautiful grilled Orata (fish) and Tris has fettinadi manzo al pizzaiola. This place is clearly popular for a reason and I would definitely return.

1 Joy December 29, 2009 at 11:58 am

The food looks great! I’ll probably be ordering grilled fish like your mom. :)

Rome is calling me…

2 formerchef December 29, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Joy, you must go if you can! After 2 trips in 18 months, Rome now ranks in my top 5 favorite cities in the world. There is a never ending supply of things to see and do and the food, OMG, is so good almost everywhere.

3 Akila December 30, 2009 at 1:40 pm

You know, I think we went to this restaurant. On our last night in Rome, I was too tired to write notes about what we ate so I forgot the name of the restaurant but I do remember that it was on Via del Spignoli near the Pantheon but a bit away from the crowds. Or maybe I am confusing myself. Either way, the food looks delicious!

4 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen December 31, 2009 at 8:20 am

The fish looks incredible!

5 Sharon Jones August 30, 2010 at 8:32 am

I have been unable to find a website for La Tavernetta (Via degli Spagnoli 48, Rome) at which I could
make a reservation. Can you assist me, please.

6 formerchef August 30, 2010 at 8:42 am

I’m sorry, I don’t have any other information for them.

7 Denene Brox Photography December 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Your food shots are always so great. Do you have any tips for shooting in restaurants? I want to do more restaurant photography, but I’m a bit self-conscious.
Denene Brox Photography recently posted..Remembering ParisMy Profile

8 formerchef December 23, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Thanks! I’m self conscious too. I usually try and be as unobtrusive as possible. That means I keep my camera in my lap and never use a flash. I sometimes take a couple of test shots before the food comes to make sure I have the white balance and the shutter speed/aperture where I need it so that when the food comes I’m ready.