Japanese Pork and Shrimp Pot Stickers (Gyoza)

by formerchef on January 18, 2010

They say that men have better spatial ability than women. The feminist side of me (yes, I just used the “f” word) says “bosh!” to that theory. Ok the feminist side of me would never use a word like “bosh“, but you get my meaning… Anyway, every time I do something which requires reading a diagram and I get frustrated, my husband likes to remind of this fascinating tidbit. It just infuriates me further.

In my previous life as a chef I made many pot stickers, these little savory packages filled with meat and vegetables, which are both fried to give a nice crispy texture to the bottom, and then steamed to complete the cooking. However, I’m sure I did not use an authentic folding method to create them and it’s been almost a decade since I made them from scratch. Armed with a recent gift of Andrea Nguyen’s Asian Dumplings book, I was determined to do it the authentic way.

I read the instructions.
I studied the hand drawn diagrams.
I re-read the instructions and diagrams.
My first dumplings just weren’t right. Oh, they would have cooked up just fine (and in fact, they did), but they didn’t have the shape I wanted. By the way, this is in no means a reflection on the instructions and diagrams in the book, but rather on my god-forsaken female spatial (in)abilities. Grrrr…

Type A personality that I am, I wanted my pot stickers to look like the ones I’d eaten in restaurants. In Nguyen’s book, the shape is called “pleated crescent.” Oh sure, there are easier ones, with cuter names like “half-moon” and “pea pod” and “big hug,” but I wanted mine to be the right kind. Those of you who are also type A, know what I mean.

Then I remembered a post on Steamy Kitchen which showed a method for pleating dumplings. With sticky hands on my keyboard, I looked it up and it turned out to be a post written by guest blogger La Fuji Mama. This method seemed a little easier than the pleated crescents. I got the hang of it quickly and then suddenly, a light bulb went on in my head.
I went back to the book.
Same same, but different” as they say in Thailand.
La Fuji Mama’s method looks similar to Nguyen’s and once I got it, I could then adjust my pleating to create the “pleated crescent” if I so wanted. In the end, both methods work equally well, look nice, and once cooked, taste the same. In fact, as Ngyuen says in her book, “Asian dumplings do not have to look perfect to taste good. You can work and eat your way toward making good-looking ones.”

Japanese Pork and Shrimp Pot Stickers (Gyoza)
Adapted from Andrea Nguyen’s Asian Dumplings
(Printable (PDF) Recipe for Pot Stickers)

2 cups, lightly packed, finely chopped bok choy*

water

Dipping Sauce:
4 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tsp chili garlic paste

For the Filling:
Toss the bok choy (or napa cabbage) with 1/2 tsp salt to draw out excess moisture. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse and drain. Squeeze out excess moisture. You should have about 1/2 cup when finished.
In a large bowl combine pork, shrimp, bok choy, garlic, ginger, and green onions. I mixed this with my hands to get it very well-integrated.
In a small bowl mix the salt, sugar, pepper, soy sauce, seasoned vinegar (or sake) and then mix that into the pork/shrimp/vegetables.
The filling can be used or made and refrigerated 1 day in advance. If done the day before, remove from the refrigerator about a 1/2 hour before using.

To Assemble:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust with flour if you will refrigerate or freeze the prepared gyoza.
If you are using prepared gyoza or won ton skins, have a small bowl of water ready. I couldn’t find round gyoza wrappers in my local Asian market so I cut the square won ton wrappers with a round cookie cutter.

Take one gyoza skin and with your finger or a small brush, lightly wet the edge about 1/4 inch around. Put about 1 Tbsp of the filling in the center. Bring one side of the gyoza skin up to meet the other and pinch in the middle. Pleat one side out toward the right edge, keeping the opposite side touching it, flat. Pleat the other half out toward the left, pinching it against the flat side opposite. This will cause the gyoza to have a curved shape. For the “pleated crescent”, start the pleats on one side of the gyoza, working your way across to the other side.
Repeat with the rest of the gyoza skins. Keep the pot stickers covered with a dry kitchen towel while you finish making the rest.
When done, they can be refrigerated or frozen for later use.

To Cook:
Heat a large nonstick frying pan or wok and add 1 Tbsp oil. With the heat at medium-high, add the dumplings in the pan one at a time with the pleated edges up. Cook them in the hot oil for 1-2 minutes until they brown on the bottom. Then, very carefully so as not to splatter the hot oil, add water to the pan (about 1/4 inch or about 1/3 cup) and put a lid on the pan to steam the dumplings. Reduce the heat to medium and let the dumplings cook for 6-8 minutes or until all the water cooks away. Remove the lid and let the bottoms crisp up for another minute or so. Because the filling is raw, if you are at all uncertain if they are done, take one out and cut it in half to verify that it is cooked all the way through. If you are making a large batch, transfer them to a platter in a warm oven.

Dipping Sauce:
Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and chili garlic paste. This is a slightly different sauce than in Asian Dumplings but it’s one I’ve made for years and I like it.

***Recipe notes and substitutions:***
*Make sure you squeeze as much of the air out of the inside of the dumpling before sealing. When cooking, they will puff up and sometimes tear otherwise.
*I had baby bok choy in my refrigerator so I substituted it for the napa cabbage in the original recipe.
*Substituted seasoned rice vinegar for sake
*The shrimp I used was cooked instead of raw.
*I doubled the recipe because I bought too much ground pork (photos are of double batch, recipe is single batch).
*I still had filling left over after using the entire package of won ton skins so I rolled the leftover filling into little meatballs, fried them up and we ate them like canapes, dipping them into the sauce.
*I froze some of the gyoza for a future meal.

.Share

1 Vivian Boroff January 18, 2010 at 6:54 am

I love these! Absolute beautiful job with your potstickers. Perfectly crimped. I can’t wait to make these. I am going to do the samosas next I think. Definitely want to work my way through this book.

2 Vivian Boroff January 18, 2010 at 6:54 am

3 Mom January 18, 2010 at 7:40 am

Can you bring me some for breakfast? Did I mention how pretty and shiny they were? That shiny “coat” from the steam must be important? Does the compliment get me some for breakfast?

4 Mom January 18, 2010 at 7:40 am

5 Fuji Mama January 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

So glad you finally found your pleating “groove”!

6 Fuji Mama January 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

So glad you finally found your pleating “groove”!

7 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen January 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

They look fantastic! YUMMM! I love gyoza and it has been a while since I made them at home – and mine weren’t as pretty as yours!

8 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen January 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

9 jaden January 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

they’re gorgeous!!

10 jaden January 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

they’re gorgeous!!

11 Christine @ Fresh Local and Best January 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Your pot stickers are perfectly pleated! It’s very evident you’ve had lots of good practice.

12 Christine @ Fresh Local and Best January 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm

13 formerchef January 18, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Fuji Mama and Jaden-Thank you both for resource your post gave me!

Christine-You should have seen the pot stickers I didn’t show in the photos!

Jenn and Vivian-as always, thank you for your consistent and thoughtful comments.

14 formerchef January 18, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Fuji Mama and Jaden-Thank you both for resource your post gave me!

Christine-You should have seen the pot stickers I didn’t show in the photos!

15 Jacqueline Church January 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm

We had a dumpling fest of a weekend, too. Posting soon. My mother’s are the gold standard according to my husband. Every time I make them that is the comparison. *sigh*

16 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Jacqueline- It’s always tough to be compared to Mom isn’t it? The true test is what does SHE think of your dumplings? :-)

17 Jacqueline Church January 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

You think I’d risk making dumplings for her? Must steel myself for such encounters and practice, practice, practice. Lucky for me I have a willing guinea pig here, my dumpling monster or “otaku”

18 Jacqueline Church January 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm

19 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

20 Jacqueline Church January 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

21 Joy January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Beautiful pleating! I struggled at it until it was time for me to make it for the Daring Cooks challenge and I learned through Jen of UseRealButter.com.

Y’know I just bought some wonton wrappers this afternoon because I was thinking of making some pot stickers this week. :)

22 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Joy- It must be fate; get to work!

23 Joy January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm

24 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Joy- It must be fate; get to work!

25 Kenzi January 19, 2010 at 10:37 am

I must say, the pleating technique intimidates me quite a bit….

Great photos.

26 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Kenzi- Don’t let it intimidate! Just try the easier methods first like the half moon (wet edges and fold in half pinching it closed).

27 Kenzi January 19, 2010 at 10:37 am

I must say, the pleating technique intimidates me quite a bit….

Great photos.

28 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:34 pm

29 Hilary January 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hello, do you need to thaw them before cooking if you choose to freeze? I’m guessing yes?

30 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Well, I don’t think you have to thaw them because I buy the frozen ones all the time and cook them from the frozen state. But I don’t know if those have a cooked or raw filling. I did freeze some and when I cook them I’ll let you know how they do.

31 Hilary January 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

32 formerchef January 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm

33 The Cooking Ninja January 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm

They are gorgeous. I’m still trying to get mine right. I never thought of using a circle cutter. LOL! I roll them one by one like they do in the restaurant. A lot of work. ;)

34 The Cooking Ninja January 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm

35 Chez Us January 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm

WOW – these photos are awesome & absolute drool worthy!! Making me so hungry …. you did an amazing job on this!!!

36 Chez Us January 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm

37 tokyoterrace January 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm

YES! I know exactly what you are talking about with the pleating difficulties! I haven’t quite hit my grove yet, and it a place where I can buy ready-made gyoza I tend to do that instead of practice my own pleating-skills. No more! You have inspired me to go the distance and figure it out! Female spatial issues my behind… Well, anyway, thanks for the great, entertaining post and beautiful job with your gyoza!

38 formerchef January 20, 2010 at 11:05 pm

If I lived in Tokyo like you do, I don’t think I’d make them myself either! Wondering, do you buy them fresh and uncooked there, or are they frozen?

39 tokyoterrace January 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm

40 formerchef January 20, 2010 at 11:05 pm

41 jmb January 20, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I received this book for christmas too.
Your dumplings look great!
Made 4 batches of dumplings, love them, next I will try my hand at homemade dumpling dough, baby steps, lol
Have you made the baked filled buns, Made the char siu pork buns, twice, love them.
So easy and yummy!
going for the curried chicken filling next.
Just stumbled on your blog, great work!
J

42 formerchef January 20, 2010 at 11:07 pm

jmb- I have not made any buns yet but will have to try them. Vivian (1st comment on this post) made steamed buns, you should check out her blog.

43 jmb January 20, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I received this book for christmas too.
Your dumplings look great!
So easy and yummy!
going for the curried chicken filling next.
Just stumbled on your blog, great work!
J

44 formerchef January 20, 2010 at 11:07 pm

45 jessiev January 20, 2010 at 4:43 pm

WOW< you so made me hungry!! my husband LOVES gyoza. he orders them wherever he can find them. but making them at home – i think we'd need to make a double recipe! i'd like to know how they come from frozen, too. thanks!!

46 jessiev January 20, 2010 at 4:43 pm

47 Wanderluster January 22, 2010 at 5:09 am

Oh my, do you have patience!

48 Wanderluster January 22, 2010 at 5:09 am

Oh my, do you have patience!

49 Joanne January 25, 2010 at 6:41 am

Wow, your dumplings look awesome. I have always wanted to make dumplings that actually look like they are supposed to!! I get the filling right, but they never look as good as yours do! I supposed practice is the only way to go.

Thanks for all the tips.