Salad Lyonnaise with Crispy Poached Egg

by formerchef on May 3, 2010

Post image for Salad Lyonnaise with Crispy Poached Egg

Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 9th this year. If my own mother were not off on her fantastic Italian journey, I would be making her this salad, served on a warm patio with a chilled rose and a freshly baked crusty baguette. Paints a pretty picture, doesn’t it?

A traditional Salad Lyonnaise is a poached egg served atop frissee with bacon lardons, croutons, and a Dijon vinaigrette. I’ve taken some liberties here and adapted it to my preferences; don’t be afraid to do the same. For example, I like baby lettuces with a small amount of frisee in it because I don’t care for that much frisee by itself.  I baked some fresh bread and served it on the side instead of putting croutons in the salad. And finally, I fried the poached egg.

Yes, you read that right; a crispy fried poached egg.  The egg here is breaded and lightly fried, resulting a in crispy exterior which contrasts with the soft poached interior. It only adds a few minutes on to the preparation but increases the “wow” factor exponentially. If you follow the steps to get everything prepped in advance, it will be significantly easier.

Have everything prepped and ready to go before cooking the eggs:

• Put the salad greens in a large salad bowl and place in the refrigerator.
  • Make the vinaigrette
  • Have all pots and pans ready; one for poaching eggs with water, one for frying bacon, and one for frying the panko breaded eggs.
  • Have plates and bowls ready for the breading process.
  • Sheet pan lined with paper towels
  • Slotted spoon and tongs on hand
  • Set the table and have salad plates ready in the kitchen.

Salad Lyonnaise with Crispy Poached Egg

For Salad:
5 oz baby lettuces or frisee (more traditional)
4 pieces (3.5-4 oz) thick cut bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
2 eggs
2 Tbsp vinaigrette, see below

For Breading:
2 Tbsp. flour
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup panko* breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

For Vinaigrette:
2.5 oz extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp sherry vinegar (or sub red wine vinegar)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 shallot, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste

1 cup neutral oil (canola) for frying
1 tsp vinegar (for poaching eggs)

baguette, either for croutons or simply sliced with the salad

*Panko breadcrumbs are a very light, flaky, Japanese style breadcrumb and they have a very crispy crust when used as a coating for fried items.

1. Make the vinaigrette (whisk together all ingredients; olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and shallot). This yields about 5 oz of dressing but I always save the extra for another salad later. You can cut the recipe in half if you like.

2.  Slice the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.

3.  While the bacon is cooking, bring a quart of water to a simmer and add the vinegar. Crack each egg into a small bowl and gently lower it into the simmering water. Poach for 3-4 minutes and using a slotted spoon, remove to a paper towel. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes.

4.  While the eggs are poaching, set up the plates/bowls for breading. Flour, egg, and breadcrumbs in each. Season the flour with salt and pepper.

5. Using a slotted spoon, carefully dredge the egg in flour, then beaten egg, then coat with the panko breadcrumbs. Set breaded egg gently on a plate and bread the second egg.

6.  Heat the cup of oil in a large frying pan. The oil will be hot enough, when you drop some of the breadcrumbs into it and they start to sizzle and color (note; if they turn brown in less than 5 seconds the oil is too hot). When the oil is ready, using the slotted spoon, gently lower the eggs into the oil. They should take about 15 seconds to turn brown on each side. Gently turn them over and fry on the other side. Remove with the slotted spoon to the paper towels and drain.

7.  Quickly toss the salad with a few tablespoons of the dressing and the bacon and place on plates. Top with the crispy poached eggs and serve with baguette and a chilled white wine.

1 Sharon May 3, 2010 at 7:01 am

OMG–I am so happy you finally got this photgraphed! It looks delicious, and I am sorry I am not gonna be there for you to make it for me.

2 formerchef May 3, 2010 at 11:28 am

I know, I wish you could be here too!

3 Vivian May 3, 2010 at 10:53 am

Oh what a gorgeous dish! I will have to make the crispy poached egg. I could eat this right now!

4 formerchef May 3, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thank you! I like poached eggs well enough, but the contrast of textures here really makes the dish!

5 david May 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Very handsome looking salad. Would any of the dressing be good on the egg too?

6 formerchef May 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Thanks David. I think the dressing would be great on the egg!

7 Carolyn May 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Fried poached egg? Kristina, you are my hero. That sounds amazing. I can’t wait to try it. And somehow this is my second can’t-wait new egg preparation of the day, along with sous-vide. It’s a good day to be a chicken, I guess.

8 formerchef May 3, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Sous-vide egg? I’ve seen it in restaurants but not sure if I would attempt at home. Unless you recently got the home sous vide machine? If so, I can’t wait to see what you make with it. Or are you thinking Momofuku’s “ghetto” sous vide? :-)

9 Carolyn May 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Well, this was the inspiration. I’m totally ghetto when it comes to sous vide, beer-cooler style! Of course, I haven’t tried an egg yet. I think the cooking time may be too long for a beer cooler. Will let you know when I try it!

10 formerchef May 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Ah, I get it now. The egg is “sous vide” in the shell. For some reason I was envisioning it out of the shell and in a plastic bag, lol.
The beer cooler set up is fascinating. I may have to give that a try some time this summer.

11 Simone May 4, 2010 at 6:56 am

What a fantastic idea to fry the egg! I was attracted to the photo on foodgawker and just had to come and check it out. Glad I did as your blog is beautiful and this salad… well, just gotta try it for sure!

12 formerchef May 4, 2010 at 7:03 am

Thank you so much! And thanks for letting me know you came from seeing the photo on Foodgawker.

13 Myra May 4, 2010 at 10:01 am

Yum! I’m making this for myself on Mother’s Day. And since it’s Mother’s Day, I’m not sharing.

14 Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen May 4, 2010 at 11:24 am

Holy moly! Wow! This is a fantastic idea. I can’t wait to try this. I love fried eggs, poached eggs, etc. and a poached fried egg is even more perfect. Thanks for the recipe/tip!

15 Joan Nova May 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Those eggs are amazing. I imagine you need a very steady hand. “Gentle” is definitely the word.

16 Valerie May 6, 2010 at 10:55 am

Beautiful! I haven’t seen eggs done that way before and now I am dying to try it. My boyfriend loves *everything* fried (he IS a Texan, after all), so I’m sure he will go nuts for this.

17 Brooke @ Food Woolf May 6, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I think you had me at poached egg. The picture makes me want to dive into my computer screen and get eating. What a delicious dish for mom…and then on every other day–me!

18 Angela@spinachtiger May 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Oh my gosh. This is fantastic. I could live another 100 years and never come up with this idea. I am a lover of poached eggs served in every way. This is a recipe that just floors me. I just subscribed so I won’t miss any posts. :)

19 formerchef May 6, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Angela! I wish I could take credit for the idea, but alas, I cannot. I know it’s been around in restaurants for a few years. I first had it myself last year in one of the restaurants where I work. It was just too good of an idea not to share!

20 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen May 11, 2010 at 11:05 am

Wow, a crispy fried egg?! That sounds too good to be true!

21 kathy August 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

My husband just made this for me! It was absolutely delicious! Great recipe!

22 MeatHub Inc. October 26, 2010 at 11:32 am

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an egg look so delicious :)

23 formerchef October 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

Thanks! I had to make it 3 times to get the best shot!

24 Sheelah Kaye Stepkin November 9, 2010 at 8:11 am

Wow. This recipe hurts good! I can’t wait to try it. I am in love with anything that includes a poached egg. I love the explosion of warm egg yolk gravy! OMG! Thank you. I am going to perfect this and use it on the menu. thank you Chef! Thank you Actually I had a sweetbread and foie dish at Adore, Alaine Ducase’s place at the St. Regis. I went nuts until I learned how to do an egg purse. This however adds a dimension I can only imagine.

25 formerchef November 9, 2010 at 8:25 am

Thanks! Wow, sweetbreads and foie? Sounds decadent, but oh so good.

26 abby jenkins March 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

That looks amazing and just what the doctor ordered…for lunch.

27 Petra June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

First time on your site, great job!!!

28 SophiaSofei July 21, 2012 at 2:24 am

Deep fried poached eggs!!! Never think of doing this before! Brilliant!!!
SophiaSofei recently posted..Salad – Sesame Chicken Cucumber SaladMy Profile