Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp

by formerchef on September 15, 2010

Post image for Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp

Here in Southern California we are in that “sweet spot” of perfect weather between the scorching summer and our typically mild Fall; it’s a beautiful and sunny 78 degrees and should be for most of the week here. Even though people not originally from Southern California lament the “lack of seasons” here, as one raised here, I can tell you we have our seasons and Summer is coming to an end. I can tell the seasons are changing because the traffic gets worse when kids go back to school. Seriously though, my garden is gasping its last breath and I’m already looking forward to Fall soups and stews and more baking.

Last week my husband, an avid golfer, made a pilgrimage of sorts to play a nice course up in Ventura, CA. On the way home, he stopped at one of the many farm stands which dot the highway and bought 3 baskets of strawberries and some large, fragrant nectarines. He said, “You can make something with these, right?” Well yes, but I wasn’t really planning anything on the spur of the moment, thanks. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth however, and because I couldn’t bear to let this beautiful ripe fruit go bad, I decided to celebrate the end of Summer with this delicious crisp. I chose to serve it with a tangy plain frozen yogurt which worked well against the sweetness of the fruit, but a rich vanilla bean ice cream would work well too.

Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp Recipe

Filling:
1.75-2 lbs nectarines (about 4 cups sliced)
3 pints strawberries (about 6 cups hulled)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp butter, diced plus 1 Tbsp. to butter pan
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Crisp Topping:
1 stick (4 oz) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.

To make the filling, cut the nectarines in half, and then cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices. Cut the stems off the berries and cut the large ones in half, leave the small ones whole. Put the fruit in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar and flour. Add the butter and lemon juice to the fruit in the large bowl and then sprinkle the sugar/flour mixture over it. Gently combine. It may look and feel a little “pasty,” but as the fruit cooks it’s going to release a lot of liquid which will thicken with the flour and butter.

Put the mixture into the baking dish. Cover with the crisp topping (instructions below) and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and the filling is bubbling. If the top gets brown too quickly, cover with foil until the last 5 or 10 minutes. Serve with ice cream, or as I did, a tart frozen yogurt.

For the crisp topping, cut the cold butter into small pieces, about 1/2″. In a medium sized bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, rolled oats and cinnamon. Add the butter and mix it together with your hands or a pastry cutter until the texture resembles a coarse meal. There should still be tiny pieces of butter so don’t mash it all into one lump. Spread this over the filling.

1 Myra September 15, 2010 at 7:45 am

Oh Yum! I’m also ready for stews and baking but I love the idea of celebrating the end of summer with this crisp.

2 Chef Gwen September 15, 2010 at 8:16 am

Looks delicious! Love your food styling and pictures on this post. But what I love even more, is how simple the recipe is… thanks!

3 formerchef September 15, 2010 at 8:45 am

Thanks Gwen! Yes, it is simple, and I don’t know why I don’t make it more often! Must remedy that!

4 Cherine September 15, 2010 at 9:40 am

Beautiful crisp!!

5 Anise September 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

I made a similar blueberry and nectarine crisp recently, and discovered that by making the crisp topping in advance and freezing it, it cut down on the prep time considerably and actually made it easier to crumble and spread the topping over the fruit. I also do suggest buttering the pan well.

6 formerchef September 16, 2010 at 5:53 am

Anise-Freezing the crisp topping is a good idea if you want to do part of it in advance. I didn’t butter the dish and didn’t have any issues with stuff sticking, but maybe that’s because I used a glass pan.

7 Maven September 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

I love a crumble and this one looks wonderful. I’m on Vancouver Island and we usually share similar Autumn weather – not so much this year, though. I think I’ll be hard pressed to find produce as gorgeous as yours.

ps… I just bookmarked your recipe for quinoa with prawns. I found your blog through the foodie blog roll and love it!

8 formerchef September 16, 2010 at 5:55 am

Maven-Thanks!And thanks for letting me know you found me through the foodie blog roll! :-)

9 Charles G Thompson September 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I’m a native Californian too and yes, we DO have seasons in California! Looks like a fantastic end of summer recipe.

10 formerchef September 16, 2010 at 5:56 am

Thank you. Yes, we have seasons (doesn’t that drive you crazy when people say we don’t?). Plus, as my husband says, he can ski and play golf in the same day here!

11 nyc/caribbeanragazza September 16, 2010 at 3:22 am

This look incredible. Yesterday I made a peach/raspberry one.

I’m going to forward this link to my sister. She was looking for a crumble recipe.

12 formerchef September 16, 2010 at 5:57 am

Peach and rasberry sounds really good too!

13 Rita Reyes September 16, 2010 at 6:33 am

Thanks for the great blog! I love it.

Rita

14 Angrboda September 19, 2010 at 10:49 am

We tried this for dessert tonight and we thought it was really great. It took a little longer to prepare than I thought it would, but the result was very much worth it!

I have a huge amount of it left, which I’m going to take with me to work tomorrow and make the others there help me eat.

15 formerchef September 19, 2010 at 11:14 am

Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it! Let me know if there’s anything you think could be added to the recipe/instructions which might help in terms of anticipating the preparation time.

16 Angrboda September 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm

It was just the cutting up of the fruit really, nectarines in particular. I’m not very fast with that sort of thing in general, so I’m not sure if you really could do something about that when writing the post.

When I cook I always try to time it so that things should be finished at approximately the same time, but it never really works for me because I tend to forget to take the preparation time into consideration as well as the actual cooking time.

Generally, I find your instructions really well explained and easy to follow.

17 Kim September 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

What a beautiful crisp. I’m with ya on the “end of summer.” We’re in Tustin, and I’d like to officially complain that summer “never happened.” Because it was so cool and gray, the tomatoes never did well. In fact, we only got 3 eggplants this year. The first of them went into a ratatouille (with zucchini and tomatoes from the garden) yesterday. I fear that this is almost the end of the summer crop for us. Which is fine… because I too am looking forward to autumn! :o)

[K]

18 Barbara | Creative Culinary September 3, 2011 at 9:47 am

Perfectly beautiful and perfect timing. I sometimes can’t stop myself from buying a whole big box of summer fruits and now I’m wondering how on earth I will get through that big box of white peaches. This is how!
Barbara | Creative Culinary recently posted..Fresh and Savory Tomato PieMy Profile