Baked Eggs with Tomatoes, Garbanzos and Feta
Months ago when I was researching for a series on eggs, I came across this recipe for eggs poached in tomatoes. While I didn’t include it in the series, it stuck with me as something I wanted to try, having seen similar versions on my travels in Turkey and Morocco. In Turkey this dish is called Menemen (where the eggs are usually scrambled) and in most of North Africa and Israel it’s called Shakshuka. Even Italy has its version called Uova al Purgatorio (but without the garbanzos).
It’s not hard to have almost every ingredient on hand to make this dish on the fly; canned tomatoes and garbanzos are staples in my pantry, as are the spices. Onions, eggs, and even feta cheese are almost always in my ‘fridge. I’ve adapted the recipe slightly, cutting it in half to serve two, and adding a few spices (the addition of sumac really enhances the middle eastern flavor for me and I prefer the smoked paprika to sweet).
This dish would be a great brunch item for a crowd. If you want to do that, I’d recommend making a large batch of the sauce (recipe x 4) in a pot on the stove and then transferring it to a large baking dish (like for lasagna or casserole) and then adding the eggs and baking it in the oven. Not only is this a great breakfast/brunch dish, but I think it would make a delicious quick weeknight dinner and would be perfect for Meatless Mondays.
What do you think about eggs for dinner? Does this sound like a dish you’d enjoy? Let me know in the comments!
Baked Eggs with Tomatoes, Garbanzos and Feta Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dried red chili (I used puya), seeded and chopped
- 1/2 (of 15 oz) can garbanzo beans*
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ea 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley and/or cilantro
- warm pita bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a medium sized ovenproof pan (I used an 8" cast iron pan) over medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften and slightly color (about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried red chili and cook for another minute.
- Add the garbanzos and dried spices and stir to combine. Add the can of diced tomatoes and stir. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes break down and make a thick sauce with the garbanzo beans.
- Season to taste with salt and turn the heat off under the pan. Sprinkle the feta cheese into the sauce.
- Crack one eggs into a small bowl and with the back of a spoon, make a small well in the sauce and slide the egg in. Repeat with 3 more eggs.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake until the whites of the egg are set and the yolks are at your desired doneness, about 6-8 minutes for eggs with a runny center.
- Garnish with chopped herbs and serve with warmed pita.
I used the other half of the can of garbanzo beans in salads later in the week.
If you have fresh chilies like jalapeno, you can use that instead.