Frittata with Prosciutto, Potatoes & Thyme

by formerchef on May 11, 2009

Post image for Frittata with Prosciutto, Potatoes & Thyme

I’ve been following the beautiful food and photography blog, Lucillian Delights, for a couple of years now. Ilva’s photos are stunning and I’ve made a couple of her lovely recipes as well. A while back I noticed that she also runs a blog called Paper Chef. What is “Paper Chef” you ask? It’s an “online creativity challenge” where every month the winner from the previous month picks 4 ingredients at random and then people make a dish or a meal out of those ingredients (and others). I’d wanted to participate in the past, but I didn’t have a blog then (not that you need one to participate, but I didn’t realize that at the time).

This month’s random ingredients were “floury potatoes” (aka baking potatoes like russets), “prosciutto” and “thyme”. The fourth ingredient was the theme of “Mother’s Day”, instead of a food item.  Last month’s ingredients were artichokes, salmon, blackberries and bulgar.

Mother’s Day meals, at least in the US, are often associated with brunch so I thought I’d make a frittata, which is a baked egg dish and perfect for a light brunch or lunch meal. If my mom had been in town for Mother’s Day, I’m sure she would have enjoyed this frittata which I served with a small salad, crusty french bread, and chilled Pinot Grigio.

8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Fresh Thyme (about 1 Tbsp)
Arugula (about 1 oz)
1 ea Russet Potato (weighs about 8 oz)
2 oz thinly sliced Prosciutto
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 oz Goat Cheese
1 Tbsp Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel the potato and thinly slice. I used a mandoline to slice the potato as thin as for chips/crisps. I bought mine in a Japanese grocery store in downtown LA, but you can buy the New Benriner Vegetable Cutter online. Put the sliced potatoes in bowl and cover them with cold water.

potato1   potato2

Slice the onion and saute in olive oil until soft and translucent.
Butter the baking dish and lay down an overlapping layer of potato slices on the bottom of the dish (you will use about half the potatoes). Spread out the layer of cooked onions and then the prosciutto. Put down a layer of arugula and top with crumbled goat cheese and thyme.

fritpan1 fritpan2
fritpan3 fritpan4

Whisk together the egg and milk and gently pour over the layers in the pan. Top with the remaining slices of potato and sprinkle fresh thyme on top. Cover with foil and put in 350 degree oven. Bake for about 30 min before removing the foil. The frittata is done when the eggs are set. I wanted it to be a little more brown on top, so for the last 5 minutes, I brushed the top with melted butter and put it under the broiler.

fritpan5

frittata2

Click here for printable recipe

1 lailablogs May 12, 2009 at 3:09 am

absolutely love this recipe … looks really delicious … its a must try for me .. Laila .. http://lailablogs.com/

2 Mom May 12, 2009 at 6:49 am

OMG–I so wished I had been there–I am drooling. Definitley not your Grandma’s frittata–But she would be proud! Shows your Italian roots and American chef’s skills perfectly!

3 formerchef May 12, 2009 at 7:02 am

Awwww, shucks! Thanks Mom! :-)

4 Carolyn May 12, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Oh, those pictures are beautiful, and the recipe looks lovely, too. Also, if your mom says OMG, then I officially no longer feel like a teenager for using it. Thanks, Kristina’s mom.

5 Murasaki Shikibu May 14, 2009 at 9:39 am

I love scalloped potatoes and your version of it sounds really nice. I will definitely make these when the weather cools down a bit again. :)

6 MyKitchenInHalfCups May 14, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Wow, your mom is super cool! She is on the money too, this is fabulous!! Perfect!
Glorious photos!!

7 Terry B May 15, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Absolutely beautiful! And what a wonderful mix of ingredients. Funny, but I’ve always thought of frittatas as something you make in a skillet and finish by either popping them under the broiler or carefully flipping them, using plates and a certain amount of luck. This sounds like a much more civilized approach.

8 formerchef May 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Yes, making them in a skillet is absolutely one way to do it. I think I’ve always made them in a baking dish like this because I’ve always made it for a crowd either in my restaurant for breakfast service or at home for a big brunch party. It works and yes, it’s much easier. :-)
I’ve never tried the layers of sliced potaotes like this though. Was just looking for something potentially “pretty.”
The pan method you described reminds me of Spanish Tortilla, which is just another version of the frittata.

9 Sneh | Gel's Kitchen May 16, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Absolutely stunning! I love the presentaion and the eggs look fluffy and cooked to perfection :-)

10 nina June 6, 2009 at 6:10 am

A plate of food like this will always catch my eye!! I like the color, the texture…just the whole thing!!!Yum!

11 mimi Krakowski August 12, 2009 at 12:22 pm

What size baking dish did you use for the frittata?

Thanks!
MK

12 formerchef August 12, 2009 at 1:19 pm

It’s an odd sized pan, 7″x11″.