Roasted Potato and Leek Soup

by formerchef on March 29, 2010

Post image for Roasted Potato and Leek Soup

While it may technically be spring, I’m well aware that many parts of the country are still buried under snow or at least suffering with chilly temperatures. This recipe for Roasted Potato and Leek Soup should help banish any chill and fill the house with a savory aroma that will be sure to make everyone feel warm and toasty. The roasting of the main vegetables (potatoes, leeks and garlic) add a depth of flavor you just don’t get by simply boiling them.

The soup is also versatile;  it’s already hearty, but if you want a richer finish, whisk in some cream at the end. It can even be served cold, a la Vichyssoise, which is my husband’s favorite soup of all time. In fact, even though I created this soup to be vegan, he bought some cream and chives, and ate it cold for lunch for 3 days straight after we had it served hot on the first night.
I garnished the soup with a little extra virgin olive oil, but it would also be good with a dollop of sour cream, Greek yogurt, a drizzle of herbed oil, or as my husband prefers, with good old fashioned heavy cream and a sprinkling of chives. Finally, for a non-vegetarian version, garnish with diced crispy bacon.

Recipe: Roasted Potato and Leek Soup
Print Recipe in PDF

3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and diced 1″
1 bu Leeks, cleaned and sliced
5 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
4-5 sprigs of rosemary
salt and pepper
64 oz stock*

* stock: I used 1/2 vegetable stock and 1/2 water to keep the soup vegan, but you could also use a good quality (preferably home made) chicken stock.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Peel and dice the potatoes. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise, cutting away the very dark green tough top pieces. Cut them into 1/2” slices and rinse with cold running water in a colander.

2. Toss the potatoes, leeks and garlic in a large bowl with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread out into a roasting pan. Add in the sprigs of rosemary.

3. Roast for about 40 minutes, until the potatoes are a golden brown and tender. They don’t have to be extremely soft because they are going to cook more in the soup.

4. Remove the pan from the oven and discard the springs of rosemary. Transfer the potato/leek mixture to a large soup pot. Add the stock/water and bring to a simmer. When the potatoes are soft enough to mash with a fork turn off the heat.

5. Puree the soup.  I used a stick blender (similar to this Cuisinart CSB-76 Smart Stick Hand Blender) but you can also puree in a regular blender, just let the soup cool a bit first so that it’s not too hot going into the blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you plan on freezing any of this soup and you want to add cream, add it when it gets reheated. Garnish with any of the suggestions above.

1 Patty March 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

Ah this looks great, the perfect way to wait out the rest of the cold weather ;) thanks for posting!

2 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen March 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

Fabulous! I love soup recipes like this that are so creamy – from the veggies and no need for cream, although cream is really really good. Love the new look of your blog too! :)

3 Valen March 29, 2010 at 11:32 am

I love leek potato soup, but have never made it this way before, looks like comfort!

4 lo March 29, 2010 at 11:35 am

What a wonderful take on the classic potato & leek soup. Of course, you won me over by adding rosemary (definitely in my top five favorite herbs)!

5 Sara March 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Simply beautiful! We have got so many potatoes at our house; excited we have another way to prepare them!

6 cat March 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I can’t wait to make this & eat it! Looks delicious. Thanks for posting!

7 Renee Fontes March 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Potato leek, my favorite! I bet it’s good with a dollop of fresh yogurt cheese!
Thanks,
Renee

8 Kathy March 31, 2010 at 8:01 pm

This is one sure comfort food for cold weathers. And something that can warm the stomach before eating the main course. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

9 Dominique January 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

How much exactly is a bu of leeks? I have two very large leeks. Is this enough? or too much?

10 formerchef January 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm

One bunch of leeks is about a pound or so. Yes, it varies and yes, I should have weighed them for the recipe, sorry! :-) I think your two very large leeks should be just fine.

11 Torrie @ a place to share... March 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I’m making this for dinner tonight… Thank you! This is the 2nd time in the past few days that I’ve been (via Google) directed to your site. I have a recipe for green garlic soup, but don’t have green garlic. This is a perfect alternative, and I love the idea of roasting the vegetables first.

12 formerchef March 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Wow, glad to hear Google is doing its job! :-) Hope the soup turns out well.

13 Torrie @ a place to share... March 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

It was delicious. We froze 1/2 of it, to enjoy later… garnished with Canadian bacon and a nice olive oil. I’m adding your feed into my reader!

14 Nellie August 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

AND it’s still showing up on google! Everything’s roasting right now and we’re looking forward to a wonderful soup! Kind of a way to hopefully bring in some Fall weather :-)

15 Amaree September 11, 2012 at 10:42 am

We tried this last night, and my 5 and 6 year old boys had seconds and thirds. Heck, my 7 month old had seconds! YUM!

16 kelly October 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

We tried this tonight and my husband said it was the best Potato Leek soup he’s ever had… of course, it had to be the roasting part! thank you for this!
kelly recently posted..Lovely Blues Christmas Ornament – bullseye – winter holiday gift tag by leandogpotteryMy Profile