Cardamom Spiced Persimmon Ice Cream

by formerchef on November 3, 2011

Post image for Cardamom Spiced Persimmon Ice Cream

We have an ongoing battle surrounding our persimmon tree with the squirrels in our neighborhood.

It’s actually pretty simple; they eat the persimmons, sometimes tossing them aside after only a few bites, and we shake our fists at them, yell, and sometimes cry. It’s quite sad, but only for us. I think the squirrels are fairly happy with the deal.

To add insult to injury, it seems that our persimmon tree only bears a substantial amount of fruit every other year. In the bountiful years it’s not uncommon for us to get buckets of fruit, 50-75 pounds of it, so much that we are giving it away and don’t notice the squirrel consumption. In the “off” years, we get nary a persimmon with the squirrels eating any and all of the meager amount of fruit on the tree. This is one of those years where the humans did not get a single piece of fruit.

How did I make this ice cream with no persimmons on my tree?
Confession #1; I made it last year but never got around to posting the recipe or photos and then persimmon season was over. My procrastination last year is your (and my) gain this year!
Confession #2; each year I freeze ripe persimmon pulp so I can use it later in persimmon bread and ice cream. This way the pain of losing what little fruit we get to the squirrels is easier to take.

Tell me, do you make ice cream only in the Summer? What are some of your favorite Fall and Winter ice cream flavors?

Cardamom Spiced Persimmon Ice Cream

1 cup cream
2 cups whole milk
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp crushed cardamom
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups ripe persimmon pulp

If you have whole cardamom pods, please see these instructions for crushing them. Crush the pods in a mortar and pestle or in between waxed paper. Discard the pod shells. Crush the tiny black seeds slightly to make them more aromatic. Heat the milk and the cream with the crushed cardamom and half of the sugar until very hot, but not boiling.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining half of the sugar.

When the milk is hot, temper the eggs by whisking in a cup of the hot milk and cream into the bowl with the eggs and sugar. This keeps the eggs from scrambling when you add them to the hot milk. Then whisk the egg/milk mixture back into the pot with the hot cream. Cook until the custard begins to thicken; do not boil or the eggs may cook and curdle.

Pour the custard through a fine mesh strainer and chill until very cold. At least 3 hours or overnight.

Whisk in the vanilla extract and then stir in the persimmon pulp. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. I use the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.

Recipe Notes;

• A little cardamom goes a long way! Don’t be heavy handed.
  • Persimmons: There are two kinds, Fuyu and Hachiya. My tree is Fuyu which means the persimmons can be eaten while still firm, or when fully ripe. Hachiya can only be eaten when totally ripe, otherwise they are too astringent. Since this recipe calls for ripe persimmons you can use either. If you have Fuyu, you can mix in some small firmer pieces for texture.
persimmon Ice Cream
Want more Persimmon recipes? Check out these:

1 Priyanka November 3, 2011 at 9:11 am

I am not an ice-cream fan mainly coz of my health issues.
But the ice-cream you created looks so wonderful , I can only imagine how yummy it would turn out to be :)
Priyanka recently posted..NUTTY MUTTON & CRISPY FRIED GREEN TOMATOES WITH RICEMy Profile

2 Danielle November 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

My husband and I tried to make ginger snap ice cream recently, but it was a total disaster! We just winged it using our favorite vanilla base and then taking pieces of other ginger snap ice cream recipes, one of which said to steep fresh ginger in the ice cream base. We used way too much ginger though and it was almost inedible. It was good in concept but not so good in execution.

By the way, your strawberry ice cream recipe from awhile back was fantastic! We had some plain and added crushed oreos to some of it, and it was great both ways.

3 formerchef November 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm

@Danielle- Adding crushed oreos to strawberry ice cream sounds wonderful (can’t go wrong with chocolate and strawberry together!).
formerchef recently posted..Cardamom Spiced Persimmon Ice CreamMy Profile

4 Jenn @LeftoverQueen November 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

This looks so amazing!
Jenn @LeftoverQueen recently posted..Curried Apple SoupMy Profile

5 Heather in SF November 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm

That truly is a beautiful photo! We just received five pounds of squirrel-free Fuyu persimmons and I think ice cream is a fine idea. Hopefully I can make it egg free, stupid food allergies, but a little gelatin should do the trick. I make ice cream year-round, the only caveat being room in the freezer! right now there’s too much bacon in there. Ha!

6 formerchef November 4, 2011 at 6:26 am

Heather, you can absolutely make it egg free, many ice creams are made that way!

7 June@CreditDonkey November 4, 2011 at 2:19 am

This is just exquisite. The texture is heaven and the ingredients are fairly surprising. I hope I can taste them though. Can you send a pint over? Kidding!

8 Myra November 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

Yet another reason why I need to buy an ice cream maker. The combination of cardamon and persimmon sounds perfect for Fall. (Smart to freeze the pulp!)
Myra recently posted..Peaceful Children in Parisian CathedralsMy Profile

9 Erin November 4, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I like to make ice cream all year long! This looks fabulous.

10 angela@spinachtiger November 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Can you believe I have never eaten a persimmon. The photo is gorgeous and inspires me to try.
angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Roasted Golden Beet Carpaccio with Orange Walnut VinaigretteMy Profile

11 Elisabeth November 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm

This ice cream sounds scrumptious!! I placed an order with our co-op for a bulk order of persimmons. I’ll have to try this wonderful sounding ice cream. I like to eat persimmons raw, too. So good.
Elisabeth recently posted..The Blendtec Wildside or the Blendtec Fourside… Understanding the DifferenceMy Profile

12 Brittany December 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I recently served this over persimmon bread pudding – it was delicious! The cardamom works perfectly with persimmons.

13 formerchef December 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

That sounds fantastic! Thanks for letting me know.

14 Tom December 30, 2011 at 6:55 am

Yummi, yummi…I just love ice creams. I could eat them every day. This one on the pictures looks sooo delicious. Need to try out your recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

15 Evelyn September 30, 2012 at 7:15 am

What does one need to do to make persimmon pulp? Just remove the skin, seeds and put it in a blender? Thanks!

16 formerchef September 30, 2012 at 7:19 am

If the persimmons are ripe enough, you just need to cut them in half and squeeze the pulp out of the skin. You may not even need to put them in a blender.

17 Tara January 20, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Can I make this sugar-free?

18 formerchef January 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Maybe, but real sugar helps keep the consistency of ice cream soft. With sugar substitute, I don’t know how it will come out.