Home Made Key Lime Syrup and Posting on Auto Pilot

by formerchef on October 12, 2009

limes2limesyrup

Posting on auto pilot? What’s that all about?

Well folks, this girl is enjoying the dolce far niente in bella Roma this week but I went ahead and put together a little something for you in advance so you wouldn’t go wanting or miss me too much. There’s a nifty feature of most blogs which allows one to schedule a post in advance. Who would have thought?

A couple of weeks ago I was in one of my favorite local markets and came across a bag of key limes. They were so cute and cheap I bought them, with no real plans as to what to do with them. Time passed and they kept looking at me, like, “well, what are you going to make with us Miss Fancy Pants?” Yes, my food taunts me and yes, it can be rude too!
I could have made the typical Key Lime Pie but we were running out the Ginger Syrup I’d made for our SodaStream soda maker so I thought I’d make some lime syrup.

When we were in Vietnam over the summer I would often order “Lemon Juice” to drink with my meals. However, this was closer to what we in the US might call Limeade; freshly squeezed green “lemon” juice mixed with simple syrup and water or soda. My version is similar though it’s all combined and I’ve added the zest for a little more zip and color (I like the way it looked).

This syrup is sweet/tart and would also be great drizzled over a warm pound cake or used in a cocktail.

limes1limesoda

Lime Syrup

2/3 cup lime juice (about 1.25 lbs key limes)
2 tsp. lime zest
2/3 cup water
1 1/3 cups sugar

Combine all ingredients. Simmer for 5 minutes and cool. Serve with sparkling water over ice.

1 Tenrou October 12, 2009 at 7:56 am

Looks delicious, I love lime drinks during the fall. For some reason I associate it with Halloween. My dad was a lawyer and would cool off with it everyday after work when I was a kid, it was a tough business and since he was a plaintiff’s lawyer.

2 nina October 12, 2009 at 10:29 am

Summer is finally here and I am making a double batch of this syrup for the season. Thx for sharing this delicious recipe!!!

3 Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen October 12, 2009 at 1:45 pm

That sounds like such a refreshing treat! :)

Isn’t that posting ahead thing great! I just posted ahead a bunch of posts for the next few weeks, while we are in New England!

Have a great time in Rome! It is so beautiful there.Have a gelato for me, OK!? ;)

4 Vivian Boroff October 12, 2009 at 11:34 pm

I love limeade and this looks delicious. I love the auto post feature on my blog. Its how I manage the Tuesdays with Dorie challenge. I hope you are having a great time in Rome. Enjoy as much of the gelato (Giandujia is my favorite flavor), cheeses and charcuterie while you can :)

5 Joy October 13, 2009 at 9:32 am

Mmm….I love limemade. And I’m still jealous over that soda machine (haha), but I wouldn’t mind using this for Key Lime margarita. I hope you’re enjoying Rome!

6 lo October 14, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Oh, gosh. I love limeade… though I should probably admit that this syrup would TOTALLY end up as mojitos at our house. Especially since the mint by the back door has survived the first hard freeze… perfect.

7 HansDietrich November 8, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Glückwunsch zum neuen Blog!

8 sescoexiaGext November 26, 2009 at 1:13 am

I figured it was about the right time to say hello. Glad to be here!

9 Luv December 8, 2009 at 8:59 am

Oh! I can taste this with some cherry added for a Cherry-Limeade spritzer! How refreshing! Thx for this one!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }